Ventless-Gas-Fireplaces.com - Lisa's Blog
Hello, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Lisa and I have been an employee of Ventless-Gas-Fireplaces.com, a Division of Recreational Warehouse (We are now celebrating 41 years in business!) for the past 16 years. We are one of the leading retail companies offering ventless gas fireplaces and stoves in the country. We have vast experience in the fireplace industry and have assisted many customers with the proper selection of a ventless gas fireplace or stove. I have thoroughly enjoyed helping customers both online, as well as in our retail store, purchase the correct ventless gas fireplace or stove for their home. My desire to develop this blog was to clear up any misconceptions and misinformation about ventless gas fireplaces and stoves. Throughout the years, I have been very eager to learn and want to take this opportunity to share that knowledge with you. Any questions?
Choose a Category
2019/2020 Heating Season
What is new this year!
Gas Fireplaces What's "NEW" for 2016
This category will include some changes in codes for 2016 as well as some new product that I want to share with you.
Ventless Gas Fireplaces And Stoves
Ventless gas fireplaces and gas stoves are available in natural gas or propane, and are intended to be used as a secondary heat source for a home. Because there is no vent, flue or chimney required, all of the heat generated by the product is utilized as heat with 99.9% efficiency.
Many ventless gas fireplaces and stoves are available with the option of a basic on/off hand held remote, a hand held remote with a timer or thermostat, or a wall mounted thermostat.
Ventless gas fireplaces and stoves are energy efficient, safe and offer homeowners a way to add additional heat to their homes. Ventless gas burners are design certified by national testing laboratories to meet the latest guidelines and national standards for health and safety.
Ventless products are fueled by natural gas or propane and their engineered burners provide environmentally clean, efficient, burning heat. More than 17 million households use ventless gas fireplaces, log sets, and stoves as a supplemental heating appliance.
Important Facts About Ventless Gas fireplaces
For New Ventless Gas Fireplace Owners:
1. A cleaning of your ventless gas fireplace burner should be done at least once a year. Before lighting the pilot for the season, please follow the cleaning instructions on our website below the Category list on the left side of the page. A second cleaning may be needed from heavy use or too much dust in the middle of the season.
2. A ventless gas fireplace or stove requires a 6 hour consecutive burn time to remove the oils that were used during the manufacturing process. The 6 hour recommended burn time will enable the ventless gas fireplace logs to reach their hottest temperature during this time. You might notice some light smoke and a strong odor but this is normal and will slowly dissipate during the burn off. During the first hour or two your home smoke detector may be triggered, allow for some ventilation by opening doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
3. Your Ventless gas fireplace is equipped with a safety pilot and oxygen depletion system. The safety pilot is designed to shut off the flow of gas if the pilot or flame should extinguish. There is a 45 second delay for the burner to reset before the pilot can be relit. The Oxygen Depletion System is designed to shut the unit down if senses low oxygen.
4.Ventless gas fireplaces and stoves are not designed to be used as a primary heat source. Ventless gas products are designed to be used as a secondary heat source and about 4 to 5 hours per day. Use your ventless gas fireplace or stove to warm the area where it is located.
5. Your ventless gas fireplace or stove will raise the humidity level in your home. Humidity levels are lower in the winter, most often this added humidity is appreciated. Using a ventless gas fireplace or stove as primary heat source can cause excessive moisture and lead to unwanted mold and mildew.
6. If you smell an odor after the burn off period, that will slowly dissipate within 10 to 20 hours of use. If you continue to smell an odor, keep in mind there are odors that can interact with your ventless gas fireplace and stove when introduced into the environment.
• Frequently burning candles
• Painting or staining
• Hairspray, aerosols, and cleaning products
• Air fresheners and potpourri
• Fans that interrupt the normal flame pattern
• Objects placed in or near the flames
• Logs improperly placed on the burner assembly
Frequently asked questions
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING MONESSEN
ALL OF THE MONESSEN GAS FIREPLACES OFFER:
THE REAL DEAL
The Charred Timber log set model TPB is sized to fit each ventless gas fireplace. The authentic design was inspired by nature and is hand-painted for incredible realism, life-like detail as well as a full glowing emberbed.
INSTALL ALMOST ANYWHERE
The ventless gas fireplaces allow for installation in any room without the need for venting-making them a terrific choice for your home. All ventless gas fireplaes are available for natural gas or propane.
Monessen stands behind each and every gas log set that we sell and backs them with a lifetime warranty.
TWO STYLES-REFRACTORY CEMENT OR CERAMIC FIBER
The log sets are offered in one of these two materials. Refractory cement log sets allow for more fine detailing while ceramic fiber log sets reflect more heat.
With a remarkable 99% efficiency rating, Monessen vent free gas log sets maximize heating operation to provide optimum fuel savings.
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING PROCOM
Unbeatable value, continuous innovation, exceptional quality and outstanding service is what separates ProCom from other fireplace manufacturers. Their mission is to be your first choice when shopping for supplemental heating products and a companies service.
Products and Services:
ProCom manufactures a full line of gas space heaters, gas fireplace systems and gas log sets. They have produced high quality heaters and hearth products for over 15 years. The integration of parts and components allows them to produce affordable high quality products and support the aftermarket needs of customers.
ProCom, ProCom Select and HearthSense are the companies three brands of products that are marketed. The ProCom line is marketed through a broad range of dependable retailers and features a variety of products that range from ventless gas wall heaters to an affordable selection of ventless gas fireplaces and log sets. This assortment offers a selection of products including remote controlled units and is sold through independent dealers like us who sell and service their products.
When To Check Building Codes
New York City's building codes are the oldest (1916) in the country. They are the most stringent codes because of the city's population density and concerns such as fire prevention, adequate light, and ventilation. These codes standards were established for the purpose of safety, health, and quality of life. Whenever there is a question regarding design, construction or alteration, you should consult with the building codes in your area to see what the restrictions are.
Manual, Modulating And Millivolt Control Systems
Manual Control System:
With a manual valve you turn the burners on, and adjust the flame height by a control knob on the gas appliance. The ability to adjust the flame height with a ventless gas fireplace will allow a range of BTU's and heat. Manual control ventless gas fireplaces are not capable of using a remote control or wall thermostat.
Modulating Control System:
A modulating control offers automatic temperature control which automatically controls the heat in the room. Operation is easy, light the pilot, turn the flame up to high until the room is comfortable, then turn slowly turn the knob towards low until the the flame shuts off. The thermostat is set and the valve will "modulate" the flame on and off to maintain the temperature you set. Easy to use but there is no flame height adjustment. To keep the unit on you would turn the control on high to override the thermostat feature. Thermostatic controlled heaters and fireplaces allow temperature setting on the unit, and the fireplace or heater will cycle on and offer to maintain temperature in a room. This can be also be achieved with a millivolt system with some type of thermostat remote.
Millivolt Control System:
A millivolt system has a valve that allows the use of a wall switch, wired or wireless wall thermostat or a remote control. A thermostat remote or wall mounted thermostat will regulate and maintain the temperature in the room.
Minimum Hearth Requirements
When purchasing a ventless gas log set whether it be Monessen or any other brand, be sure to follow the minimum hearth requirements and choose the proper size. The recommended spacing will prevent the gas log set from shutting down due to lack of space and oxygen.
Questions Regarding Installation
This section is reserved for questions regarding the installation of ventless gas logs and inserts.